"Father!" A Series on Prayer, blog 1

Originally published at road2wholeness.com on 6/29/17



Welcome back!  Thank you for taking the read today, and another stroll with The Road2Wholeness Blog.  I also welcome you to this exciting new series: “Father!”  In this series, we will seek to stretch out our thinking and understanding as it pertains to prayer.  This time, before we come to our knees, let there be Light!

Along the path of this series, we will approach the reasons for, the need of, and the keys to prayer.  First, I’ll like to begin with a quick look at a few scriptural revelations about prayer.  Let’s begin with the story of the “Deceiving Spirit”, which God used to bring down a king.  In 2 Chronicles 18, you can read the story, but here I want to focus specifically on verses 11-24.

After the prophet Micaiah informed King Ahab that all the other prophets who were declaring victory for him in battle, had been deceived, one of the other prophets slapped him in the face.  He asked, “Which way did the deceiving spirit go after he left me to speak to you?”  Micaiah replied, “You will find out on the day that you go to hide in an inner room.”  Here we see that Micaiah was able to bypass the deceiving spirit the Lord was allowing to lead King Ahab to his death.  Although the King did not take his advice, it shows here that with the right relationship in prayer, we are able to see beyond what is meant to be seen.

Let’s move on to Matthew 26:36-41.  Here, In Jesus’ final moments before being taken captive by officials, Jesus unveils what I like to call the 11th Commandment… “watch and pray”.  Specifically, in verse 41, Jesus instructs the disciples, “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.  The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

Lastly, let’s look at Mark 9:17-29.  In this story, Jesus’ disciples tried to cast out a demon, but were unsuccessful.  In verse 28 and 29, when the disciples asked of the Lord why they were unsuccessful, Jesus responds, “That kind can come out only by prayer.”

In these three examples, we found question, command, and acknowledgement.  Throughout this series, we will use these repeatedly to go deeper into the Light of Prayer. 

In this first blog, the question is, “What do you do when God says, you have to wait.  Go back out, and close the door.”  Tough huh!  I know.  I was in prayer the other day, and my nephew came bursting through my bedroom door asking for something.  I heard myself respond, “You have to wait.  Go back out, and close the door.”  In that moment, the spirit said to me… “What do you when God says, you have to wait…  Go back out, and close the door?”  From the inside, having greater understanding, and in God’s case; knowing all things… it’s probably not so offensive.  I know I didn’t mean it to be offensive.  But standing on the other side of the door, what do you hear?  What do you feel?  Where do you go?  The truth is that there are proper questions, commands, and acknowledgements needed to enter certain parts of God. 

In John 14:1-4, Jesus says, “… My father’s house has many rooms.  …And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me…  You know the way to the place where I’m going.”

What was Jesus saying?  He was speaking about the many spaces (dimensions) in God, and He was also saying that He would be the gateway to those places.  Ultimately, Jesus went ahead of us, and He showed “the way” through His walk on earth.  Then He says… I will come back and take you to be with me.  He does that by spirit.  Lastly, He said… You know the way.  The way is in prayer.   Now, about those rooms…

I like to think of those many rooms as many lessons.  Hanging on the outside of each door is probably a sign, but perhaps in our need, haste, or even ignorance we go barging in.  The beauty of God’s grace, mercy, peace, and understanding, is that He never locks the door. 

God, who knows our life’s expectancy and course, probably looks at His agenda, and says… “You have to wait.  Go back out, and close the door.”  On the outside, we may feel bruised, forgotten, frowned upon, or even defeated, but what is really being said is, “You’re not there yet.”  I can personally confess that every time I thought I was ready for something that I did not receive, I understood clearly that I had been wrong, once I eventually did received it.  God knows!  He knows the order of each lesson we will take in our lifetime, and if we attempt to go at them outside of the prescribed order, we forfeit getting the tools (knowledge and understanding) we need to go into the next door, or we show up with the wrong tools in hand.  So we acknowledge order.  Thankfully God never punishes our zeal or allows us to be put to shame.  He simply redirects us.  And if we ask, He will even walk us to our next and rightful door.  All of this happens in prayer.  So, in essence we’re never really waiting; we’re walking.  We’re walking out our life’s course.  The wait is really in our head.

So, now we know the power of prayer.  Remember in the example above, where Jesus healed the boy after the disciples were unsuccessful, we know that Jesus did not stop just then and pray.  He already had the tools.  He already had the power.  They were given to Him by prayer.  Note, that in Jesus’ response He said, “That kind can come out only by prayer.”  He didn’t say in prayer.  So, it’s not some prayer ritual that we need to have in the moment of crisis, but its power we obtain “by prayer” that we use in moments of crisis. 

But let’s go deeper.  In the next blog, we’ll talk commands.  How to be heard when you are in the right room.  I hope you’ll join me then.  Thank you for taking the stroll with The Road2Wholeness Blog.

Remember to go within that you may never go without.  The God within awaits you.   Until our paths collide again, I wish you… Peace, Love, Life, and Complete Wholeness in Christ.


In Service,


NaTisha Renee Williams


Thanks for visiting our archives, to read our latest blogs go to: 


Comments