A Life of Apologies

When was the last time you said sorry to anyone for anything?  That question popped into my head this morning.  It made me look.  I really value questions that make me look within and do a little self-examination.  I didn't have to look too far thank God although there were some that did still need to be issued (2 of which I've already done).  Honestly, I appreciate that the question was posed because it helped me to see something else.

What came to mind as I thought about the question, is that a life of limited apologies can be quite the self-righteous life.  The idea that we can go through life without issuing apologies or feeling like we're the ones who always needs to be apologized to; is in essence a life of ego.  Just think, with all the different personalities, cultures, and matters of the heart around us, how is it that we have managed not to offend anyone lately?  Sometimes apologizing is not about intent.  Just because you didn't intend to step on someone's toes doesn't mean that you didn't.  I think we must be sensitive enough to see where we may have unintentionally stepped on someone's feelings and that we should have the courage to apologize.  To live a life where you are readily willing to issue an apology is freeing.  So many times our emotions and feelings are tied up and chained to resentment that could easily dissipate with an acknowledgment or an apology. 

People often talk about toxic energy and toxic relationships but it's not all about ending friendships and omitting people from your life.  Some of the toxic energy and relationships are what they are because small offenses never taken off the table with a simple "Hey I'm sorry I wasn't there for your birthday party.  I know you were really expecting me to be there." become sore feelings and are left to fester and ferment into thick toxic resentment.  So much hurt in the world is tied to small offenses backed by big feelings. 

Living an emotionally healthy life is to not only be keeping record of who's offending you but to be aware of whom you're offending.  This is another way to keep the energy around you clean; not being held in someone's consciousness as having stepped on their feelings is truly key in clearing the ethers around you.  Of course we can't be aware of every offense and sometimes people can be emotionally wired to feel offended.  But the premise of this post is for us to be more sensitive to the moments in time when we get it wrong and to become a willing participant in a life of apologies.


Remember to go within and you'll never go without.  Until our paths collide again, I wish you...

Peace, Love, Life, and Harmony!



NaTisha Renee
The "Emotional Life" Coach




Comments